Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dinner


I thought I'd share some of my favorite meals since a lot of people always have a million and one questions about vegans and food.

Tonight I made some Lentil Spinach Soup.


I'm not sure where I got this recipe from but it is simple and quite tasty.

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion chopped
5 cups water (or veggie broth if you prefer)
1/3 cup dry rice
2 cups dry lentils
2 garlic cloves minced
1 pound spinach coarsely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
cumin & allspice for garnish

Heat oil in pot add onion and saute until tender
Add water and bring to a boil
Stir in rice and lentils and bring to a boil
Cover reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until rice and lentil are soft (add more liquid if needed)
Add garlic, spinach, and lemon juice
Cover and cook about 5 minutes, until thoroughly heated
Garnish servings with cumin and allspice

A few of my personal tweaks to the recipe.
I up the amount of rice because I love rice and I also add sliced mushrooms (with the rice and lentils). Because I add more rice I have to add more liquid, I just check on it and make sure there is enough and it ends up more like a stew than a true liquidy soup. I personally prefer it that way. I also flavor it with some season salt (Simply Organic Season Salt is my personal favorite) and a bit of nutritional yeast (it's like adding a sprinkle of parmesan cheese).

Last night I ate just this as a late meal. If I have more time I usually make some rolls to go with it.

I love recipes like this that are simple and are made with fresh ingredients, or mostly fresh since lentils and rice aren't something I get fresh, but I do buy them both in bulk so for me there is practically zero waste associated with the meal as well.

*any mention of specific products and my opinions on them are all my own and not influenced by anything other than my personal experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment