Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cooking with Chopsticks

My preferred cooking utensil is a pair of chopsticks. In recent years I have started using a silicone spatula more than chopsticks because I have been making more one pot meals and the spatula is better at getting things moving around. I have found another use for my chopsticks while cooking, to keep the lid off the pot so it doesn't boil over as easily but still holds a lot of the heat in. When I cook I like to keep the lid on as much as I can to conserve all the heat I can but I quickly learned somethings just can't be cooked covered because they will boil over too easily. Pasta, quinoa, couscous, those types of things. I can't tell you how many messes I made before I gave up and just cooked those things uncovered, as you are instructed to, gee I guess I should listen to what "real" cooks have to say. With some other things I want to half cover the pot or leave it just a bit off so heat and steam can escape but also hold in a bit of the heat still. This is where the chopsticks come in, I lay them across the pot and the edges and then put the lid on top of them, it works great. Here are some pictures of this at work.




2 comments:

  1. That is bloody brilliant! Chopsticks are my favorite cooking tool too. My husband and I eat a lot of Asian style food. We can go a week or more without using "forku" during dinners. PS: We aren't Asian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know non asians use chopsticks too. I'm a 1/4 japanese so I picked the habit up from my family. My husband loves cooking with them too but we don't eat with them that often because he doesn't know how and honestly I hate eating rice with chopsticks, we do eat rice at nearly every meal.

    ReplyDelete