Saturday, October 24, 2009

My brain knows things I do not

I grew up a baseball fan, went to games quite regularly, the family even had season tickets for a few years in the 90's. I understand and appreciate the game and can hold my own while viewing and enjoying a game. I don't pay all the much attention to baseball anymore and most of the guys I grew up loving are no longer in the game or *shudders* are coaches, boy does that make me feel old. I stopped paying as much attention to baseball a few years back, the whole steroids and bullshit just got too much for me and I just don't see the game the same anymore, but that's not the point of this post. I should also say that I am in no way a fan of basketball of football, both of them I have never really watched and am the typical girl about them, I know practically nothing about the sports and find them stupid and dumb, again just the typical girl.

There are things you can ask me about and I would go um um um I don't know but when watching a baseball game I understand what is going on. Basically there is information I know but can't willingly recall. One such fact is who wears the light and who wears the dark uniforms. I can't for the life of me tell you till earlier this year.

While watching the hockey playoffs I was getting so confused, I knew where the games were being held and I would keep getting excited for a goal and then realize that it was the wrong team. Watching hockey today I found myself doing the same thing, it happens more in the regular season when I watch hockey just for the joy of the game and don't pay as much attention to it because I mainly only get Kings hockey in my area and I have never been a Kings fan. Although since the Ducks were in the playoffs this year I didn't get to watch much of them because once the Kings were eliminated I was apparently in Ducks market and got a lot of blacked out games, pissed me off so bad, I also am not a Ducks fan AT ALL (is it wrong that when I wrote out I said it in my head like a Canadian because we are talking about (also said in my head like a Canadian)hockey).

Back to the hockey playoffs earlier this year, my husband enlightened me to the fact that I was getting confused because in hockey the dark/light home/away colors are the opposite of what they are in baseball. So apparently I know which team wears which uniform, I just can't actually recall this information, and my brain just automatically thought the same way. So I then mention this to my dad when we were watching a hockey playoff game and he tells me why baseball has the dark/light home/away uniforms. The away teams wear the dark because the traveling teams didn't have the facilities to wash their jerseys on away games, this of course is way back in the day. So to make it easier on the away teams they would wear darker uniforms that showed less dirt. Hey I can now remember that fact because that makes sense. Why hockey is the opposite I don't know. Hockey isn't as dirty of a sport, unless you count blood but that has nothing to do for the most part with home or away.

So that is the story of my brain knowing things I didn't know it knew, wonder what else it is hiding from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment