Sunday, June 19, 2011

Refried Beans

Do you know how simple it is to make your own refried beans? Very. I will share with you how I do it.

I buy my dried beans in bulk, pinto beans, or any other type you may want to use. I put desired amount, I don't measure anything for this recipe, of dried beans in a container and cover with a good amount of water, they will absorb a lot so make sure you have enough water for them to absorb. I let them soak overnight. 

In the morning I drain and rinse beans and throw them in my crockpot. I add cloves of garlic, a good amount of garlic cause it is tasty, it's hard to over do it on the garlic, at least I think so. I probably had 3 cups of soaked beans and added about 10 medium sized cloves, no need to chop them up, just peel and toss the whole cloves in the crockpot. I add some cumin, a tablespoon probably and a teaspoon or two of coriander. If desired add a bit of salt and any other spices you may want to add. Cover it all with a good amount of water, cover them with an inch or two of water, mix and let them cook away for the day on low or half a day on high. I like to 'overcook' them a bit so they are already kinda mushy. 

When they are done I let them cool put the beans, garlic, and liquid in a bowl and put them in the fridge because it is late and I don't feel like cooking them right away. Whenever you are ready too cook them, or refry them, add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and heat, I usually use a slotted spoon and scoop beans into the heated pan so I get some of the liquid with it. Once in the pan use a masher and mash and stir beans around while they are being heated, if needed add more of the cooking water so they aren't too dry. You can flavor with more salt or any other spices you may fancy at this point, maybe some chili powder if you like spice. I like to keep them rather simple, or plain I guess, so they can be used for anything sorts of foods and I can flavor/spice more for what I maybe using a serving for. Once beans are heated through you have yourself some refried beans. See simple and pretty cheap, especially if you buy your dried beans in bulk. The refry isn't even necessary, you can just mash the beans and heat for whatever you are using them for. 

The refrying of the beans

I like to make simple tostadas with my beans. Tostada, beans, and a bit of daiya cheese melted on top. 

(I swear they taste better than these pictures look, I am not the best of food photographer.)



No comments:

Post a Comment